One of the special features of the Lanterna simulators is the extremely realistic behavior of the tug dynamics. This feature is particularly important as it deals with the presence of impulsive phenomena (tensioning of towing cables and/or compression of fenders) and hydrodynamic interaction phenomena between hulls and propulsion.
In order to have realistic simulation, the positions of the tug attachment bollards, the characteristics of the tow winch and of the tow lines, must be defined. The line management takes place via a winch control panel that manages the winch functionality.
The line forces acting on the two ships are calculated taking into account the physical characteristics of the line and the distance between the two points of attack, which is obviously influenced by the movements of the ships in their six degrees of freedom.
There is also available, a control console for the specific Voith Schneider propulsion.
All the features (listed to the right) are available for tugs operated as own ship. A simplified tug model (instructor tug) is available for the use from the instructor control station.
According to the propulsion, the following types of tugs are available:
- Tug with traditional single or twin propeller
- Tug with Azimuth Stern Drive (ASD) or Tractor Tugs
- Rotor Tug
- Tug with Voith Schneider propulsion
- Barge thruster tug (flanking rudder)
The tug version of Lanterna simulator can be configured according to the tug type:
- Azimuth levers (ASD for example)
- Navigation and instrumentation software panel
- Traditional steering wheel and engine levers
- Radar / ARPA
- Winch control panel
- Audio communication (VHF panel)